WARNING: It is very important to give the lowest priority to mod_bandwidth so other modules will have the time to do their job before the documents are transmited ! For that reason, it is important to follow those steps :
- Copy the file mod_bandwidth.c to your Apache source directory.
- Run the ./configure script with the following directives :
- Compile and install Apache.
- Compile the module with :
/path_to_apache/bin/apxs -c /path/mod_bandwidth.c -o /path_to_apache/libexec/mod_bandwidth.so
- Add the following lines to your httpd.conf file :
LoadModule bandwidth_module libexec/mod_bandwidth.so
Those directives should be placed at the begining of the list so that the module will be given the lowest priority and be executed after others modules.
- Copy the file mod_bandwidth.c to the "src/modules/extra" directory of your Apache sources.
- Copy the "src/Configuration.tmpl" file to "src/Configuration"
- Edit the "src/Configuration" file and add near the begining :
(This is the reverse of old Apache versions)
- Run the "./Configure" script
- Compile and install Apache
Create the needed directories and make sure that they are "read/write/execute" for the user under which Apache run. By default, mod_bandwidth use the following directories but they can be changed using the BandWidthDataDir configuration directive:
Note that if any of those directories doesn't exist, or if they can't be accessed by the server, the module is totaly disabled except for logging an error message in the logfile.
Be careful that on some systems the content of the /tmp directory is deleted at boot time or every so often by a cronjob. If that the case, either disable this feature or change the location of the directories used by the module using the BandWidthDataDir configuration directive.
Runing Apache with mod_bandwidth :
For correct results, it is important that there isn't any "dead" links in the "link" directory of mod_bandwidth when you start the server. It may be a good idee to run the "cleanlink.pl" script we provide to automaticaly remove dead links.